Selected Member of The Royal Society of Sculptors 2020
James Roseveare MRSS firstname.lastname@example.org
- Feb – Aug 2018. Tree Sense. Arts for Health Residency. with Boyd & Evans. Milton Keynes
- Sept – Dec 2016 | Stela For Foreign Bodies | Artists Residency | Elements Gallery, London
- April – Oct 2015 | Field | Farley Farm House Sculpture Garden ( Home of the Surrealists), Chiddingly, East Sussex
- 2014 | Backwards and Forewords | 1066 Gallery | Battle, East Sussex
- 2012 | Backwoods | The Stade Project Space, Hastings
- 2004 | Conifer *014122 | The Florence Trust, London
- 2003 | A Place To Be. 6’10” | The Chisenhale Dance Space, London
- 2002 | A Place To Be. 59mins & 38 sec. | The Chisenhale Dance Space, London
Selected Group exhibitions
- June. Coming up for Air. Waterloo Festival. The London Group. Curated by Clive Burton and Bill Watson.
- July. Can we ever know the meaning of these Objects. Gallery 46, London E1. Curated by Kevin Quigley and Sarah Sparkes.
- August. Misinterpretation. Zuzushi Gallery, Hastings
- Aug – Oct. Emergency 2021. Aspex Gallery, Portsmouth . Curated by Vickie Fear.
- Aug – Sept. Selected for the AIR Gallery Open, Manchester
- May | Hastings Open | Hastings Museum, Hastings, East Sussex
- July | Liminality | with Jake Chapman | curated by Sean McLusky, Kevin Quigley, Bjorn Hatleskog | Gallery 46, London
- June | Come Hell or High Water | The London Group and Friends | Waterloo Festival | curated by Almuth Tabbenhoff and Cadi Froehlich
- May – July | Miniscule Venice | 58th La Biennale Di Venezia. Fondamenta Sant’Anna 996 Castello. Venice, 30122 Italy | curated by Vanya Balogh
- May 8 -10 | Void | Final showing of Empire II | Rialto, Venecia | 58th La Biennale Di Venezia|curated by Vanya Balogh
- Feb | EMPIRE II | After Extinction | Museo Maco, Oaxaca, Mexico
- Feb | Four legs good, two legs bad | The Year of the Pig | Q Park, Leicester Square, London | curated by Rebecca Feiner
- Oct | Protocol | Q PARK, Cavendish Square, London. Curated by Vanya Balogh
- June | Nothing Endures but Change | The London Group and Friends | Waterloo Festival | curated by Susan Haire
- Apr – Sept | Sweep~Landskip | with Edward Chell, Derek Jarman and Peter Joseph | Kinokino, Sandnes, Norway | curated by Roberto Ekholm (EKCO)
- Feb. | Embacing The Under Dog | curated by Susan Haire of The London Group | Q Park, Chinatown, London W1
- Oct | FRIEZE Weekend Come Crashing Down. The Crash. Q PARK, Cavendish Square, LONDON. Curated by Vanya Balogh.
- April | Speedway | with Luci Eyers and Andrew Kotting | Transition Gallery, London
- May – Nov | EMPIRE II – Exhibiting The Moving Image| Project devised and curated by Vanya Balogh for the 57th VENICE BIENNALE.
- Feb | Sonic Sunday | with Danny Pockets | St. Leonards on Sea, East Sussex
- Sotto Vocci | Hastings ( Italian Artist Exchange)
- Bohemia Show | curated by Jim Hobbs | Hastings
- Chinese Open. Yr of the Sheep | with Cedric Christie, Vanya Balogh|Chinatown, London W1.
- We Agree not to Agree | with Cedric Christie,Vanya Balogh | Q Park, Cavendish Sq. London
- Le Voci Rotrovate | Corigliano d’Otranto, Italy
- Marvellous Mix Ups | with Cedric Christie and Vanya Balogh | Fulham, London
- We Are Oak Passage |with Greig Burgoyne and Andrew Kotting |Stour Valley Arts , Ashford
- Strarta Art Fair | Saatchi Gallery, London SW3
- Twelve by Six | De La Warr Pop Up Gallery, Bexhill
- Artbeat Festival | Cairo, Alexandria, El Mansoura, Egypt
- Art in Romney Marsh | Folkestone Triennial Fringe, Romney Marsh
- Fish Stock | Coastal Currents Spotlight | The Stade Project Space, Hastings
- East Sussex Open | The Towner Gallery, Eastbourne
- From A to B | Anglo-French exhibition | Dover
- East Sussex Open | The Towner Gallery, Eastbourne
- International Art Symposium (selected artist) | Patras, Greece
- Shot by the Sea | with Ben Rivers and Andrew Kotting | Claremont, Hastings
- The 18th Istanbul Art Fair | Tuyap, Istanbul, Turkey
- Urban Jungle | GLA, City Hall, Southbank, London
- International Art Symposium (selected artist) | Diakopto, Greece
- Border Line | Canakkale, Turkey
- Coastal Currents | Hastings
- The Summer Show | The Florence Trust, London
- Siradisi Hayatler – Extreme Lives | Kadikoy, Istanbul, Turkey
- Transformation | Istanbul, Turkey
- Fresh Art (Award Winners – best group) | Business Design Centre, London
- Digital Fine Art Show | The Arcola Gallery, London
Awards and residencies
- 2018 Tree Sense | Arts for Health Residency | with Boyd & Evans | Milton Keynes
- 2013 Pure Arts | Best Overall Artist
- 2004/05 The Florence Trust Residency | The Florence Trust, London
- 2002/03 Chisenhale Research award | The Chisenhale Dance Space, London
- 2011 Art at the Start Creative Partnerships | Hastings
- 2010 Art in the Woods Creative Partnerships | Torfield School, Hastings
- 2007 Dance Creative Partnerships | De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill
- 2000 Lighting/sound Namae no nai ie Dance | Yumino Seki | London
- 2002 Dance Film A Life Altered | Angela Woodhouse | Oval House, London
- 1997 Projection A Distance Between Them | ‘Antistatic Festival’ Sydney
- 1996 Projection Elegie | The Gary Rowe Dance Company |Sadlers Wells
- East Sussex NHS Trust
- 2011 Arts No. 31 , Jordan Ministry of Culture, Amman,
- (Dr Khaled Alhamzeh, Prof Hist of Art and Architecture, Yarmouk Uni, Jordan)
- 2013 http://hastingsonlinetimes.co.uk/arts-culture/arts-news/a-natural-slice-of-life
- 2016 Tate Etc Issue 36. Robert Mcfarlane on British Landscape (Andrew Kotting)
- 2017 Garageland Art, culture and ideas Issue 21: Urban Ghosts
- 2018 http://hastingsonlinetimes.co.uk/hot-topics/grassroots/trees-in-art-and-nature
- 1995 – 98 London College of Communication | BA. First Class Hons. Photography
- 1982 – 85 Askham Bryan College, York | Nat. Dip. Arboriculture. Royal Forestry Cert
Selected exhibitions PR / information
15 April – 26 August 2018 Kinokino, Sandnes, Norway
Sweep~Landskip, an exhibition of international artists whose works use landscape
as a concept. Within their ideas, we can find a sense of timelessness, abstraction,
figuration and a mapping of its physical origins, and a cultural overlay of human
presence. Traces of humanity appear where nature becomes landscape and
bodies perceive external stimuli.
Jenna Burchell | Luke Burton | Jodie Carey | Edward Chell
Derek Jarman | Marte Johnslien | Peter Joseph | Herman Lohe
James Roseveare | Tom Scase | Richard Stone | Hanae Utamura
Curated by Roberto Ekholm | EKCO London Sweep Landskip pr_2018 https://www.facebook.com/events/336828873505279/
Tallinn Art Week, Estonia
Residency Commission, Milton Keynes Arts for Health
Tree Sense. Inspired by trees and their relationship to society both past and present this residency encompasses tree learning activities and the design, planting and development of living sculptural tree art. Over many years cyclical pruning will establish a stunted, gnarled mini tree scape, promoting community legacy and stewardship. ‘Art and Culture’ will be embedded in the trees themselves.
Nothing Endures but Change
Ephemeral Sculpture. The London Group & Friends June 7th – 24th 2018. St John’s Churchyard, Waterloo, London.
Responding to the festival theme of ‘Transforming Minds’, the exhibition title, Nothing Endures but Change, comes from Heraclitus, better known for saying, ‘you cannot step into the same river twice’. Impermanence is a basic tenet of Buddhism. Buddhism and Hinduism share the doctrine that nothing lasts, everything is in a constant state of change.
The artists include:
Sophie Alston, Wendy Anderson, Peter Avery, Keith Ball, Vanya Balogh, Rosalind Barker, Alison Berry, Clive Burton, Sandie Camilleri, Andrea Cavallari, Rebecca Feiner, Cadi Froehlich, Ann Grim’, Susan Haire, Katie Hayward, Aude Hérail Jäger, Martin Heron, Alexander Hinks, Vera Jefferson, Marilyn Kyle, Chris Marshall, Venetia Nevill, Sarah Pager, Janet Patterson, Michael Phillipson, David Redfern, Jim Roseveare, Tom Scase, Tommy Seaward, Chris Simpson, Angela Carol Stocker, Franny Swann, Almuth Tebbenhoff, Paul Tecklenberg, Graham Tunnadine, Bill Watson, Tisna Westerhof and Angela Wright.
The London Group, one of the longest-running and most prestigious artists’ collectives in the world, has around 90 members and champions diversity of work and independent thinking. Celebrating its centenary in 2013 its illustrious history mirrored that of British art for much of the 20th century and today the Group is as strong as ever, with nine shows this year alone.
EMBRACING THE UNDERDOG exhibition at Q-Park in Gerrard Street right at the very centre of the Chinese New Year celebrations for the Year of the Dog, Sun 18 Feb
TRANSITION GALLERY (SPEEDWAY)
http://www.transitiongallery.co.uk/…/Spe…/Speedway_home.html Inspired by the psychogeographic poetry of place, Speedway features contemporary responses to long forgotten histories in a circulatory meshing of a sense of community, historical layering, philosophical ruminations on time, archaeology, leisure and present day artistic ingenuity.
FRIEZE Weekend Come Crashing Down
Private View Friday 6th October @ Q PARK, Cavendish Square, LONDON
In Association with Geoffrey Leong Foundation